DHFD is concerned both about the fire danger that fireworks pose, as well as the potential for devastating injuries. Here is the latest information on fireworks. DHFD urges everyone to use fireworks in a safe and responsible manner. Remember these safety tips:
- Obey the local laws and use common sense. Just because you can purchase the fireworks, doesn’t mean it is legal to set them off in your city.
- Always read and follow instructions. Always have an adult present.
- Keep burning sparklers and other fireworks away from clothing and flammable objects.
- Only use fireworks outdoors, away from buildings and vehicles.
- Light only one firework at a time.
- Alcohol, fireworks and sparklers do not mix. Be responsible.
- Do not point or throw fireworks at another person.
- Children under the age of 12 should not handle fireworks, including sparklers.
- When finished, place used fireworks in a bucket of water.